18 Dec Winter Hair Care: Cold Weather Treatments & Tips
As the temperatures drop and we rely more and more on indoor heating, not only does our skin react to the changes, but our hair does, too. Entering into the colder seasons puts a toll on the hair — our locks become dry, dull and lifeless as a result of a lack of moisture in the hair.
What can be done? First, we need to figure out what your hair specifically needs. Does it need shine? Is your hair in need of repairing? Does your hair need hydration?
Depending on these factors, there are a few things that can be done to help replenish what the frigid temperatures and the crisp, icy environment inflict onto our hair and scalp. With the help of your Neroli Hair Designers, we can figure out the best option(s) for you and your hair. I am going to share three different treatments that will benefit your hair this winter. Buckle up, we are about to get science-y!
Full Spectrum Demi+ Gloss
This is Aveda’s demi-permanent (partially permanent) hair color line that is 93% naturally derived and ammonia free. It has multiple uses and benefits including: grey blending, toning, pre-coloring, rebalancing, and glossing. Glossing is a fantastic way to rejuvenate the hair by adding brilliant shine and refining your color.
Here’s how it works:
- Conditions and provides shine using sunflower, jojoba, kukui, and caster oils.
- Broad spectrum of color created by green tea extract, helping to enhance the range of shades.
- Maximum color deposit using plant derived L-arginine which helps the color to fade on tone.
Adding a Demi+ Gloss Shine Treatment can be personalized to your hair’s needs. It can be used strictly as a shine treatment, or you could add pigments to help enhance your color – cooling down warmth or adding richness to your faded or dull hair.
Botanical Repair Treatment
The Botanical Repair line is Aveda’s newest hair care line designed to strengthen and repair the hair from the inside out using the power of plants. This differs from your typical repair shampoos and conditions that only add protein that the hair is lacking. This 94% naturally derived product targets the main three parts of the hair strand — the F-layer, the cuticle, and the cortex — to smooth the strands, detangle, and help prevent breakage.
- Plant based complex uses corn and coconut to protect the hair
- Mimics the benefits of hair’s natural F-layer to protect it from humidity and water that can make the hair weak and fragile.
- Nourishing macro green blend of avocado, green tea extract, and sacha inchi seed oils.
- Works to smooth out the cuticle and detangle.
- Plant powered, bond-multiplying molecule using corn derived sugar.
- Creates hydrogen bonds in the cortex which strengthens and repairs the hair from within.
The Botanical Repair treatment can be done in a number of ways. It can be done on its own as a conditioning treatment, it can be added into your color to help strengthen while the color precesses, and even used at home or in the salon as a hair mask. Each of these options will help to repair your damaged, brittle hair.
Nutriplenish Hydrating Treatment
The Nutriplenish line by Aveda is also 94% naturally derived. This superfood-infused line helps bring 72 hours of lasting hydration to the hair, replenishing all hair types and textures of dry or depleted hair, is color safe, and is silicone and sulfate free.
- Nutriplenish shampoos, conditioners, and multi-use hair oil:
- Superfood complex of pomegranate seed oil, mango butter, and organic coconut oil.
- Nutriplenish Leave-In Conditioner:
- Superfood complex of pomegranate seed oil and sand ginger.
Hydrating vs. Moisturizing
Hydrating is raising the moisture and nutrient levels within the hair strand using humectants, emollients, proteins, amino acids and vitamins.
- When the hair lacks hydration, it can feel brittle and may break easily. Moisturizing is the process of using emollients, butters, and/or oils to create a barrier to help seal in moisture.
- Helps the hair to retain water.
- The main function is to seal and smooth the hair cuticle.
Fun Fact: Hair typically needs both!
Nutriplenish hair oil can be used as a treatment before a color service, on it’s own, or even an overnight treatment. It can be targeted to any specific dryness, either on the hair itself or the scalp. This adds instant softness and gives your hair the extra love it deserves.
So, What Does My Hair Need?
We just covered a lot of information and the science within these products, but this is where it gets fun! Now we can figure out which type of treatment would be best for your unique hair and scalp needs. After diving into how these treatments and product lines work, we can use that knowledge to help determine (with the assistance of a Neroli Hair Designer) which route would be most beneficial to us.
Here are a few questions to ask when contemplating the best route of action for our hair:
The greatest thing about these treatments is not only will they significantly help the integrity and feel of your hair, but they can be used on their own or together. For example, you can have a Botanical Repair treatment during your color of Demi+ Gloss Shine Treatment. Or, you can try a Nutriplenish Treatment at your scalp while having a Botanical Repair treatment. There are so many ways these lines can work together get your winter hair in its best condition possible.
Don’t let the colder weather take control of your hair. Give your hair the love it needs, so it will love you back the rest of the year! Come on in, and for your next hair service discuss with your knowledgable Hair Designer the best course of action should be for your hair. We can’t wait to see you!