5 Best Summer Hairstyles To Try
Summer is heating up and our events calendar is quickly filling up. We know how important picking out the perfect outfit is, and nothing compliments a look quite like a head-turning hairstyle to tie it all together. If you find yourself reaching for an old favorite (like a high ponytail or a messy bun), this is the perfect summer to spice up your look with an elevated style.
Our beauty team pulled 5 easy and stylish summer hairstyles that can work for every hair length and texture for every event.
Festival hair is always the buzz of the summer. Whether you’re actually planning on attending a festival or not, we’ll take any excuse to wear it! Bubble Braids are oh-so simple, but provide an edgy twist for short or long hair. They are a fun way to upgrade your typical updo or braid, and are perfect for keeping hair out of your face on a windy day.
You can style this braid in many ways. Here are the simple steps to achieve pigtail bubble braids:
- Brush your hair. Start off with Aveda’s Wooden Paddle Brush rid of any tangles and smooth the hair. To keep flyaways in control, use a pump or two of Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother for lightweight conditioning.
- Section your hair. Section your hair down the center and work on one side at a time.
- Tie the ponytail. Section the front inch of your hair at the hairline into an angled triangle shape. Then, using a clear mini elastic band, tie that section into a tight little ponytail.
- Keep tying. Take another section about two inches from the front ponytail, add additional hair to the ponytail (similar to french braiding) and secure together with an elastic band. Repeat the steps until you are satisfied with where you want your bubble braids to end. This can be at the nape of the neck or all the way down your hair.
- Repeat on the other side. Match you pony tails and sectioning to your first bubble braid.
- Create the bubbles. Gently pull in between each elastic bands to create the bubble. Pro Tip: put your thumb underneath each section and push up. Then take your index finger and thumb and pull slowly.
- Set with hairspray. Using Air Control Light Hold Hairspray, lightly spray down any flyaways and frizz to complete a smooth bubble braid look.
On a hot sunny day, the beach is the perfect place to be. Whether you’re seeking a relaxing afternoon in the sand with your favorite book, swimming with you best friends, or playing a high energy game of volleyball, keeping your hair out of your face (and still looking fabulous!) is always the goal.
Double Dutch Ponytails do just that. Look like a hairstyling pro with this secretly simple style:
- Section your hair. Begin by parting your hair at the center.
- Begin the braid. Take a section of hair from the left side of your head and divide into three smaller pieces to begin the Dutch Braid. Cross the right strand through the middle, then the left strand through the middle. Then, cross the right strand under the middle and pick up a new small section of hair to cross under the middle. Continue the Dutch Braid by adding hair to both sides of the braid, working towards the back of the head.
- Tie the braid. Once you reach the back of the head, secure your braid with an elastic band.
- Repeat. Repeat steps 2-4 on the other side of your head to create the second Dutch Braid.
- Tie the pony. hen both braids are secured at the back of your head, combine both sides into a ponytail and tie it off with a hairband. Pro tip: add an oversize scrunchie that matches your swimsuit for an extra dash of cute.
- Set with hairspray. Using Air Control Light Hold Hairspray, lightly spray down any flyaways and frizz. And to protect your hair from sun exposure and dryness while at the beach, mist your final style with Sun Care Protective Hair Veil.
Summer is wedding season, and it may be your busiest one yet! This year, we are loving simple, elegant twists for weddings and are great for repeat wear. Dress yours up by adding curls, accessories, and flowers, or keep it simple with your natural texture. If you have dimensional color or balayage — the Twisted Half-Up and Half-Down style is a must.
If you’re planning on adding curls or waves to your style, we recommend first styling your hair. Always begin with Nutriplenish Leave-In Conditioner to protect your hair from heat and enjoy all day shine and hydration. Set your beginning style with Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray to keep it in place all night long.
- Section your hair. Gather a large section of hair on your left side at the front of your head. Leave out any fringe or curtain bangs from your style to frame your face.
- Twist your hair. Slowly twist your gathered hair a few times to create a spiral and begin picking up new hair and twist on your way to the back of your head. Us an elastic band or clip to hold your twist in place. Repeat the same steps to the right side of your head. Pro tip: keep your hair additions small. Unless you have thick, dense hair, just add small sections to your twist so you have plenty of hair left to remain down.
- Adjust the twist. Using your thumb and index finger, puff tiny pieces of hair from your twist to create more volume. Use bobby pins to help secure the twist for a full night out.
- Tie your hair. After finishing your two twists, tie them loosely together with an elastic band.
- Set it with hairspray. Complete your twists with Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray and add any accessories to match your event.
Glam Night Out
Summer is the perfect time to hit the town with your girlfriends! Great company, yummy food, fun music, and a lot of laughter — could there be anything better? Getting out of the house for a glamorous night with the girls is always so special, and we have the best easy ponytail hairstyle for you to try.
Here are the steps for an elegant and trendy style: the Flipped-Out Ponytail:
- Brush and straighten hair. To get the best sleek look, start of by brushing your hair Aveda’s Wooden Paddle Brush, and mist hair with Nutriplenish Leave-In Conditioner to protect from thermal heat styling and lock in hydration. If your hair is naturally smooth and straight, additional heat styling will not be necessary.
- Part the bangs (optional). Depending on your final desired look, this step may not be for you. But, if you are looking to achieve the sweep-style bangs, section your bangs or fringe and clip or tie them together to keep them out of your ponytail. We’ll come back to them.
- Tie the pony. Pull the rest of your hair up into a high pony and secure with a thick elastic band. Use your brush to help smooth the sides and rid any bumps in the hair.
- Gel it down. Smooth out any flyaways or “baby haris” with Brilliant Retexturing Gel and use a toothbrush or tail comb to achieve a long-lasting finish. Use Air Control Light Hold Hairspray to help hold the shape for your night out.
- Cover the elastic band. Take a small section of your hair from your ponytail and wrap it around the elastic band. Use a bobby pin to secure it in place.
- The ponytail flip. Using a flat iron, curve the tip of the pony for the flipped look.
- Style the bangs. Unclip or untie your bangs and side pieces and curve the ends away from your face for that perfect blowout look.
At the Office
Now with all of this summer fun, we can’t forget about our careers. Having a trendy hairstyle can always enhance your confidence, even if it’s just a Wednesday morning at the office. The Twisted Ponytail style takes very little time to achieve, but looks gorgeous and sophisticated on anyone.
- Brush hair. Start off with Aveda’s Wooden Paddle Brush rid of any tangles and smooth the hair.
- Tie hair. Take two large sections from the front of your hair and tie them loosely together at the back of your hair. Then, flip the tied hair towards the head and through the bottom.
- Begin the twist. Take the bottom loose hair and split into two sections. Pull each section, one at a time, over the hair you just flipped and tie it with an elastic band. Loosen the band a bit, and using your index finger and thumb, go underneath that hair and twist it. Take your twist and bring it through the hole.
- Tighten the hair. Securely tighten your pony and adjust sides to look even and sophisticated.
- Curl your pony (optional). If you would like to add a gentle wave to your style, spray hair with Nutriplenish Leave-In Conditioner to protect it during heat styling, add your desired curls, and finish your look with Air Control Light Hold Hairspray to lock in place.